PWT- First impressions.

BlueKnight
Advanced Member

Post by BlueKnight » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:30 pm

Although about twice as large in diameter compared to the BC96 it isn't much heavier.

stew
Advanced Member

Post by stew » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:11 am

Looking forward to hearing your impressions! Is the AZ cable new? If so, I would let it cook for a while before doing serious comparisons. I found that it took many many hours (hundreds) for my Cardas Neutral Ref cable to settle in to its final state.

BlueKnight
Advanced Member

Post by BlueKnight » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:25 am

stew wrote:Looking forward to hearing your impressions! Is the AZ cable new? If so, I would let it cook for a while before doing serious comparisons. I found that it took many many hours (hundreds) for my Cardas Neutral Ref cable to settle in to its final state.
Yes, the cable is brand new. I managed to log about three hours of listening time last evening. Can't say that I've noticed any difference between it and the BC96.

Between you, me and the bed post I was never a believer of cable break-in. Especially from manufacturers who claim they require several hundred hours. Which means that their return policy has long expired... :roll: Follow me?

And I will add that I don't think that digital data really gives a hoot whether the conductors are copper or silver. Connectors, on the other hand, might play a bigger role than we think.

Ha Boi Egg
Advanced Member

Post by Ha Boi Egg » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:43 pm

BlueKnight wrote:Although about twice as large in diameter compared to the BC96 it isn't much heavier.

...quite the conundrum....the Adele cable or the Melua cable...wonder who's gonna win this one.... :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: 8) :arrow:

BlueKnight
Advanced Member

Post by BlueKnight » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:27 pm

There are three things that come to mind that, in theory, shouldn't work: Bumblebees, helicopters and...CD transports.

You can ask God, Mother Nature or Google, how tiny wings can lift such a big insect.

You can ask Sikorsky how he managed to control hundreds of parts working in opposition,

And you can study Sony/Philips' white paper on how they managed to focus a laser on microscopic pits and valleys travelling at a constantly variable speed of several hundred RPM's. Not an easy feat. And certainly not a perfect one.

About twenty or so years ago, Sony introduced the portable Discman that you could use while jogging. At the time, it had about 5-10 seconds of memory effectively negating mistracking errors from the constant jolts and I thought to myself " Someone should invent a machine capable of reading an entire CD in this fashion".

The Perfect Wave Transport is a dream come true of sort as long as you mate it to a a great DAC. Has the weak link of the musical chain been eliminated? Certainly sounds like it!

stew
Advanced Member

Post by stew » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:57 am

BlueKnight wrote: Between you, me and the bed post I was never a believer of cable break-in. Especially from manufacturers who claim they require several hundred hours. Which means that their return policy has long expired... :roll: Follow me?
I wouldn't believe it either except I certainly experienced it first-hand with my digital cables. They definitely did not impress me overly much in the first 100 hours. But I'd be damned if they didn't slowly open up after that point. That having been said, I have *no* idea why digital cable needs any break-in, or for that matter why different dig cables can sound different. But, they do in my experience. Maybe I delude myself :)

BlueKnight
Advanced Member

Post by BlueKnight » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:23 am

It's not delusion Stew,it's like fungus; It grows on you. You just get accustomed to the sound. And in reality, you would have to play the same song over and over for XX hours, non-stop. My guess is that listener's fatigue will get to you first.

Manufacturers should sell their wares accompanied by the results of a competent Lab like the NRC before making such claims. But that's me.

stew
Advanced Member

Post by stew » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:03 pm

I have certainly thought of that possibility (you might say, probability). The only way one would know for sure whether it is a psychological or physical/electrical effect is to compare a "broken in" cable vs a brand new out-of-the-box cable which are otherwise identical. I don't have such luxury, unfortunately :)

WilliaBe

Break In....

Post by WilliaBe » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:14 pm

I believe this article attempts to explain cable "Break-In" better than any article I have ever read.

http://www.cardas.com/content.php?area= ... e+Break-In

BlueKnight
Advanced Member

Re: Break In....

Post by BlueKnight » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:48 pm

WilliaBe wrote:I believe this article attempts to explain cable "Break-In" better than any article I have ever read.

http://www.cardas.com/content.php?area= ... e+Break-In
Yes, I am familiar with this well written article. I have been using a Cardas Hexlink Golden XLR as my main analog cable since 1997. I've log thousands of hours on it in the past 14 years and I haven't seen nor heard any changes.

George makes high quality cables. And I believe that Blue Circle uses Cardas wiring in the making of their products.

What George fails to demonstrate is how a cable actually does change its 'tune' over 25-50-100 hours and beyond. I'd like to see an independent lab report video of that. I want to see physical evidence aside from corrosion.

Cardas and other cable manufacturers are in the business of selling cables and the competition is fierce and there is no shortage of pseudo-science and colorful chronicles and anecdotes So you'll have to forgive me if I don't buy everything written in the sale brochure.