BlueKnight
Advanced Member

PWT- First impressions.

Post by BlueKnight » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:41 am

When it comes to formulating an opinion, I

BlueKnight
Advanced Member

Post by BlueKnight » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:14 am

When I first ordered the PW Transport last November, I asked Gilbert if I could try his 110 Ohms BC96 digital cable so I could use the AES/EBU outputs.

The PWT has an assortment of digital outputs including I2S which is only compatible with their PW DAC using an HDMI cable.

The cable that I have been using was the 75 Ohms Coax StereoVox XV2. A silver conductor terminated with an RCA plug for use with S/PDIF.

Am I comparing apples and oranges?

So far, thanks to the selector switch on my BC501, I can easily go back and forth and compare the sound.

If you have ever read the reports on the XV2, on word always came-up: " A giant-killer". Especially when you factor-in the price.

And what I can tell you about the BC96 so far ( keeping in mind that it is new) is that it might just be a giant, giant-killer. I find it very immediate and more analytical while the XV2 has a softer presence.

Rock cable vs Jazz cable?

One thing is certain though, Gilbert is not getting his cable back. Bill me!:lol:

BlueKnight
Advanced Member

Post by BlueKnight » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:53 am

Many more hours being spent listening and evaluating.

The BC96 is getting most of the attention as it is emerging as the most musical of the two.

The following is a true story. Cross my heart and hope to die.

Yesterday I was playing different genres and artists. As I was listening to Eva Cassidy's Songbird album, ( Love that girl!!) My wife and her sister who's visiting from Halifax, asked if they could have a listen with me.

So they both grabbed a big cushion and sat at the back of the room. As I was nearing the end of the CD with "Over the Rainbow", I could here a definite noise over the music. What is the CD or the PWT acting-up? So I turned the machine off only to notice that the 'noise' came from the girls balling their eyes out...! " It's so beautiful," they said.

Women.......

stew
Advanced Member

Post by stew » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:33 pm

Glad the new transport seems to be working out so well for you! Please keep us posted as you spend more time.

Regarding your comparison of the SPDIF vs. XLR digital cables: I have done a similar comparison before, between two Cardas digital cables, both running from the TacT to the Bryston DAC. I found that the XLR was more strikingly decisive, with stronger bass and overall "tighter" presentation. By comparison, the SPDIF cable sounded softer, perhaps similar to what you are reporting. I personally prefer the sound of the XLR over the SPDIF, but I could easily see how someone else could lean the other way. My humble opinion is that the difference is, at least in strong part, due to the cable format rather than the brand of cable.

Have fun!

BlueKnight
Advanced Member

Post by BlueKnight » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:43 pm

stew wrote:My humble opinion is that the difference is, at least in strong part, due to the cable format rather than the brand of cable.
Yeah, that's why I was wondering if I was comparing apples and oranges. To make things interesting and to level the playing field, I've ordered [on sale] a Zen MC

stew
Advanced Member

Post by stew » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:01 pm

Cool. Let us know what u find.

Right now I am using Cardas Neutral Reference for both of my digital runs (SPDIF from Arcam DVD to TacT, AES from TacT to DAC). I use all single ended analog interconnects and speaker cables from BC. I will be changing to XLR once my preamp is upgraded.

BlueKnight
Advanced Member

Post by BlueKnight » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:51 am

On thing is certain, the PWT cannot turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. A bad performance will always be a bad performance no matter what front end, cable or amplifier you're using.

And I was reminded of that fact yesterday when I was playing Diana Krall's discography. When she's good, she's extraordinary but when she's bad, she really stinks. She should dump Elvis and get back to her roots.

I'm waiting for my next shipment of liquid courage before I audition Ad

Ha Boi Egg
Advanced Member

Post by Ha Boi Egg » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:14 pm

BlueKnight wrote:
I'm waiting for my next shipment of liquid courage before I audition Ad

BlueKnight
Advanced Member

Post by BlueKnight » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:19 pm

Ha Boi Egg wrote: 21 is pretty good also... 8) :arrow:

:lol:

Ha Boi Egg
Advanced Member

Post by Ha Boi Egg » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:09 pm

BlueKnight wrote:
Ha Boi Egg wrote: 21 is pretty good also... 8) :arrow:

:lol:
ImageImage :lol: 8) :arrow:

Valvefan
Advanced Member

Post by Valvefan » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:40 pm

Stew

Are you modding the BC3000 II to make it balanced?

Valvefan

stew
Advanced Member

Post by stew » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:58 am

Yup. Adding a solid state output stage with balanced outputs. And getting Gzpz power supply upgrade at the same time. Should be good.

BlueKnight
Advanced Member

Post by BlueKnight » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:00 am

BlueKnight
Advanced Member

Post by BlueKnight » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:28 am

After many more hours of listening primarily to Patricia Barber, I've decided to remove the XV

BlueKnight
Advanced Member

Post by BlueKnight » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:26 pm

The Acoustic Zen cable arrived this morning and currently cooking. I will give it a first listen after supper.