PLC / Sillycone guidance for a newb?

Mezmo

PLC / Sillycone guidance for a newb?

Post by Mezmo » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:12 am

Howdy, just dipping a toe into the wacky world of Blue Circle, and hoping for some pointers.

I want to try out -- I think -- both a PLC Thingee FX2 and some additional Sillycone filtering. Trying to figure the best way to go about it, and this seemed like the best conceivable place to start.

For some background, I'm currently running a hybrid 2-channel / HT system with about a dozen seperate plugs to contend with. The 2-channel kit (DAC, pre, monoblock amps) is running off of a Richard Grey power block, most of the rest off of a PS Audio juicebar (a semi-glorified power strip), and the remainder one of those .35 cent power strips (figuratively, if not literally). Each of these is plugged directly to the wall. The power from the wall is really unknown, unknowable and we will just assume (from a semi-educated opinion, having ripped out other walls in the apartment) atrocious.

What I was thinking about doing is (a) daisey chaining a six outlet PLC Thingee off of the Richard Grey, (b) running most of the stereo (x4) kit directly off of the PLC, (c) dangling a Sillycone off of the PLC, (d) then daisey chaining the juice bar off of #6 outlet on the PLC, and (e) then running the rest of the system off of the combination of the juicebar and the remaining 3 outlets on the RGPC.

Now, that strikes me as potentially a hot mess. But worth a try? Any pointers welcome. Many thanks.

Clave
Advanced Member

Post by Clave » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:09 am

Never messed with other brands of power conditioner, but my hunch is that you're better off plugging the FX2 directly into the wall. Plugging the filter into the FX2 sounds about right. I believe that will benefit everything else connected to the FX2. I would plug the Richard Grey unit into a different outlet, maybe use it for digital components only?

Clave
Advanced Member

Post by Clave » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:10 am

Sorry, double posted. This space for rent.

nikki
Advanced Member

Post by nikki » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:21 pm

Mezmo,

Given your situation, you may want to consider something like the GICPO if budget allows - you are almost 2/3 the way there. It will give you more outlets with more effective filtering than a PLC and 6x filter combined.

Take my comments with a grain of salt since I have not tried the GICPO, but I did consider getting a couple to use on my stats, but then one thing lead to another and I decided to upgrade the sillycone filters on my monoblocks from 18x to 24x sillycone filters and moved the spare 18x filters to the stats. I did discuss the option with Gilbert and he said the GICPO would have better filtering if you can plug your gear at close proximity to the filter. In my case, I have 10' power cords to my panels so we decided the sillycone filters was the best option.

The sillycone filters work well and I have become a big fan, but I primarily use them on circuits where I don't want to have an additional line conditioner such as on my amps, or you want to augment an existing conditioner with even more filtering.

Did I mention I have become a big fan of the sillycone filters? :lol:

Mezmo

Post by Mezmo » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:32 pm

Oh, balls :shock: . What's a GICPO? (Reminds me of that old joke, what's a dickfor....?)

But, really -- what is it (or, I guess I know what it is, just not sure what goes in it). Or, let me try another way, the description begins by posing a question: "How much filtering can you fit in a PVC pipe tee?" That may or may not have been a rhetorical quesiotn but, well... I want to know. How much filtering CAN you fit in one?

Guess I had my eye on the FX2/Sillycone combo, both because cheaper and (a) I like the funny look my wife gives me when I say the names and (b) I'm actually really intrigued by the look of them. Oh, and modular is fun. And, I think I've actually figured out what they're for.

The GICPO, on the other hand, is still a bit of a mystery to me. Thanks again.

BlueKnight
Advanced Member

Post by BlueKnight » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:45 pm

http://www.bluecircle.com/page85.html

This should help for starters.

nikki
Advanced Member

Post by nikki » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:36 pm

I gave up trying to keep track of G's product line a couple of years ago. :D

I didn't even realize the GICPO existed until about a month ago, but I think it has been out for a while now.

From what I am told, the GICPO (Garbage In Clean Power Out) is between the PLC thingee and BC60xx line of conditioners.

Mezmo

Post by Mezmo » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:27 pm

Heh, thanks. The page for the GIPCO is indeed where I started. And where I got the quote. Obviously, I was being too obtuse (not the first time). Let me try again.

FX2 + Sillycone x18 -- for example -- would have I am assuming roughly 24x filtering. (Assuming "x" is the BC68, the PLC is approximately 3x, the FX2 is twice the vanilla PLC, and the 18x is, well, 18x). Math. Maybe misguided or just plain wrong, but something.

All that is specified about the GIPCO is that it has either 8, 10, or 12 outlets; that it may have surge protection, I suppose if you ask nicely; and that it fits "a lot" of filtering. In trying to compare options, "a lot" is not as specific as I was hoping for. The next line, specifying "a whole lot," is much closer. And later when it mentions "a massive filtering capacity" I get a little tingly, but I can be a little slow and numbers sometimes help me quantify just how tingly (you know, in case I should be running to the bathroom, or something).

Here' s another way of looking at it. A six outlet FX2 plus a 18x Sillycone = ~$1,175. A 10 outlet GIPCO = ~$1,150. Close in price. Are they close in function? The same? Different?

Don't mean to be a smartass (although sometimes it comes out that way, mea culpa). Can anyone share what actually goes in the GIPCO? Is it variable? How does that effect the price? You know, the details. Thanks agin.

nikki
Advanced Member

Post by nikki » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:10 pm

It's not quite as easy as adding up the filter numbers since it is apples and oranges between the sillycone filters and GICPO/60xx. They are implemented differently and only Gilbert can answer those questions - assuming he wants to divulge any secrets :wink: .

Contact Gilbert and he will be able to suggest the best solution for your requirements. He responds to emails quicker than on this forum.

Mezmo

Post by Mezmo » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:30 pm

Fair 'nuff. And makes sense. Thanks again.

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:32 pm

I think Mezmo got the idea right from the get go. One PLC Thingee or FX2 6 outlet plus a 6X filter to begin the journey. Especially if Mezmo has never try out stuff before. That's a good starting point. He can always add more later.

Nikki: You know for how long you have been telling me you can stand the look of the Sillycone filters but once you have tried it, you couldn't look back anymore plus becoming the very first 24X Sillycone Filters owner. I didn't even try to sell you anything. I think it's the silicone flame that made you want more. :lol: :) Don't feel bad, you are not the first nor the only person whom has that effect.

The Sillycone Filters are for plug into where ever there is spare outlet. If you already have a good power strip. If the poewr strip need some ugprade, then look at filters like PLC Thingee, FX2, GICPO, BC6000 and BC6020 which has it own outlets. The filter are design slightly different then the Sillycone filters to match the impedance to the outlets being closer to the actual filter then the Sillycone filters.

They are similar in design concept but slightly different in implement.

WilliaBe

Post by WilliaBe » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:24 am

Mezmo,

I have a 6 outlet FX2 with an 18X filter plugged into it. I also have a 6X filter plugged into the 20A outlet that feeds my system. The FX2 with 18X filter is an amazing combo. Cant compare vs a GIPCO, but I have the option to deploy the 18X and 6X filters in multiple configurations when my system changes.

Good luck choosing your BC goodies.

regards,
Bill

Mezmo

Post by Mezmo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:50 am

Sounds like the FX2 plus some silly add-on filtering is the way to go, or at least the way I'll get started (gotta listen to the boss, right?). Cheers.

ralphio

Post by ralphio » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:12 pm

Hey nikki, where do you position the 24x filters in relation to your monoblocs? I'm thinking of some sort of solution like this.

Thanks

nikki
Advanced Member

Post by nikki » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:34 am

Gilbert Y wrote: I think it's the silicone flame that made you want more. :lol: :) Don't feel bad, you are not the first nor the only person whom has that effect.
I hope I never see flames :).
After 2 weeks, the fumes have subsided enough that my kids no longer accuse me of eating salt & vinegar chips.
Mezmo wrote:Sounds like the FX2 plus some silly add-on filtering is the way to go, or at least the way I'll get started (gotta listen to the boss, right?). Cheers.
Always a good idea to follow the advice of our leader. Now, did I mention I am a big fan of the sillycone filters :lol: :oops: :wink:
ralphio wrote:Hey nikki, where do you position the 24x filters in relation to your monoblocs? I'm thinking of some sort of solution like this.

Thanks
I have dedicated circuits for each amp, and each filter is plugged directly into the unused outlet. I asked Gilbert if he could squeeze it into a 10" pipe because it is the perfect height for my outlets. The 18x filter are shorter (8.5") and they dangled from my outlet. The 24x sit nicely on the floor when plugged in. Works great.