Tube dampening rings

Ice Man
Advanced Member

Tube dampening rings

Post by Ice Man » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:10 pm

Hello,

Does anyone have any experience with these? How effective are they on BC gear? A quick online search has Herbie's Tube Dampers coming up often. The page below states Audio Research supplies their own tube rings on all their equipment, and will sell to the general public.

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/tube.htm

http://www.stereophile.com/content/audi ... ping-rings

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

IM

DJCOUS

Post by DJCOUS » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:36 pm

Good topic Iceman.

I also would be interested to hear what people think that have tried these in a BC preamp.

Seems like there are many different types out there

Anybody had Success with these?
CustomBlue Circle PLS, Anthem MCA 20, PMC OB1i Signatures, Rega P5 w/ Dynavector Karat 17d3, Rega Apollo, Mac Book, BC PLC FX2, BC SillyCone 6x, BC X0e, BC USB cable, JPS Super Q speaker cables, JPS Lab Super Conductor 3 XLR & Shunyata Venom 3

masluck
Advanced Member

My experiences

Post by masluck » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:49 am

Hi,

I have used the Herbie's tube dampers in 2 BC preamps. My BC21-L2, due to my use of NOS 6SN7's, had far less problems with tube ringing than without them. Subsequently, I have them on the small signal tubes in the BC3000 GZpz SE that I now use. I guess my view is that Gil But does a fair amount of dampening (via silly cone) in his preamps, so having the same done to the tubes just makes sense to me - can't just be for the looks, right?
I did try other tube dampers and found the Herbies did work the best for the 6SN7, so I just went with for the 6DJ8 type tubes. Plus, the owner is a nice guy, just like the folks at BC. I hope this helps!!

Mark

Don Leman
Dealer

Post by Don Leman » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:26 pm

The original BC3000 came with custom Blue Circle tube dampers. Two on each tube.

Ice Man
Advanced Member

Post by Ice Man » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:32 am

Thank you, Don and Mark, for your thoughts and reply. This isn't something that I would immediately purchase, but hearing from you guys, at least I will continue to look into it.

IM

WilliaBe

fo.Q

Post by WilliaBe » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:17 pm

Iceman,

You should look into Fo.Q. The product is an anti-resonance material that literally has no limits with regards to its application.

Here is an example of he material applied to tube bases:
http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tweaks ... 90676.html

Bill

Ice Man
Advanced Member

Post by Ice Man » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:39 am

Thanks, Bill.

Have you tested other type of tube rings, and prefer this one to be the most effective? Also, are you aware of the current price?

I contacted Audio Research for current prices on their rings: $4 each, $8 per pair (what they use) per tube.

WilliaBe

Post by WilliaBe » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:09 pm

Iceman,

I do not have a tube based amplifier, but have used fo.q on signal, power and speaker cables with great success. I have even treated the circuit breaker for the AV system. Sonic benefits include: deeper bass, increased width/height sound stage and more pace. A well known audio site has multiple pics of tube users who use fo.q with great success.

Here is a picture of a couple pieces of fo.q on my Wireworld silver starlight HDMI cables. This was my first application with fo.Q. Now I use it everywhere. I have a modified Oppo bluray player that has fo.Q applied on every electronic device/part.

You can even see the pieces of fo.q that I have on my Telos RCA caps...

garyj
Advanced Member

Post by garyj » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:55 pm

Anyone tried these? From mapleshade

gary

Ice Man
Advanced Member

Post by Ice Man » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:23 pm

I purchased Herbie's Ultrasonic SS 9 for my preamp and amp. While they are more expensive than buying Audio Research's silicone rings, I liked the ninety day trial period-- I can return them, for a full refund, if I am not happy. The reviews from customers were impressive. Steve was very prompt and thorough in answering all my questions. He stated that for 6922 tubes, there was no sonic advantage between the SS and the more expensive, Rx. Will follow-up once I receive them.

Sugarbrie
Dealer

Tube Rings

Post by Sugarbrie » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:55 pm

I played around with things like that a long time ago.
In the end I went with a different method that works every single time.

USE OTHER TUBES THAT DO NOT NEED DAMPENING......

I found that in many cases, those solutions dampened the sound as well.

nikki
Advanced Member

Post by nikki » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:34 am

Yeah, you need to experiment with these rings. I have Herbie's as well and used them on EH 6922 but didn't like what they did with GL 6922. And although I used them on the BC206, I didn't like them on the BC208.

Ice Man
Advanced Member

Post by Ice Man » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:19 pm

Interesting perspectives. Thanks for the input.

I have had the chance to play around with the tube rings, and I like what it does. After talking to Mr. Herbie, he told me that he preferred his rings on the 6922 between halfway and the default, a third of the way from the top. However, I found it sounded best, in my system, about halfway.