mcintosh sound

breadman

mcintosh sound

Post by breadman » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:16 pm

gilbert suggested i post this question here. i should state i have never heard a blue circle amp. i own a bc 21.1 which is heading back home to have a lil'703 installed and an upgraded outboard power supply. i have tannoy berkeleys on the end and a 25 year old forte audio model 3 amp since new. i borrowed a friends mcintosh mc 2125 a few days back and really love the sound. gilbert couldn't comment on what blue circle amp would sound like the mcintosh and thought someone here might be able to comment. i have fx2 and 12x filter with xoe as well. thanks all for you input.
paul

k-Dub

Post by k-Dub » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:24 pm

I think the Blue Circle amps I have, and have listened to throughout the years, have all the midrange the Mac's have... But throw a larger stage, with better separation within that stage, more hall info, stage bass properly, better layering... and does not gloss over details like the Macs do - even the big mono mac's (heard on Wilson's). the Mac's sound smooth and correct, until you hear how much they gloss over in keeping the "whole" together...

So - my humble opine, is you'll a similarly musical experience - whether hybrid or all SS Blue Circle amps (I have both here - a sb380 and a BC2 upgraded to a quasi BC206 mono ampies - with small bottle drivers (NST in the sb380))...

Just a larger stage(wider, taller, depth - as recorded), that is more emotionally engaging!!!, more dynamic and life like, for your at home experience... And the support of MAC, while great, does not include G$ add on's later like your lil703 in your bc21.1, plus galatea; or updates to your amps as your budget, and ears/systems, dictate later on, years down the road (if you own a BC amp, thru a few re-builds, for another 25 years). Gilbert and co are the real deal. IMHO.

breadman

Post by breadman » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:49 pm

hi k-dub, thank you for your insightful reply. i should clarify that my plan is to get a blue circle amp. i am a blue circle junkie now. i was just testing the waters because i really enjoyed the mcintosh sound and i anticipated that blue circle is better in every way. there is a sweet sound with the mcintosh that really hit me. i probably won't get to audition any gear because of where i live and i will probably search out a used amp first and get it upgraded as money comes available. i wish i could justify one of the brand new ones but my budget won't allow.
paul

masluck
Advanced Member

Post by masluck » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:19 pm

Hi breadman,

I think the BC 20 (BC22, BC26, BC24, BC28) series amps will do the trick. I had a BC26 (before I upgraded it after 11 years of trouble free operation). It had real control and as K-dub points out, a smooth yet fleshed out midrange and good extension. I have a friend who loves the Mac sound. I also have one that loves the BAT sound. The 20 series BC amps are in between the "buttery popcorn" flavor of the Mac and the look into direct sunlight experience of the BAT amps. I see that there is a BC22 available on Canuck Audio Mart and one on Audiogon. It would be a great match for the updated BC21 and not break the bank. You can always blow them out as far as your imagination and budget will allow. GilBut refuses to obsolete his gear. My journey started in the 20 series lineup (BC21 and BC26) and it was a very lush sound, but not like a Mac - far better IMHO. I hope that helps ya.

Mark

breadman

Post by breadman » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:52 pm

hi mark, yes that helps a lot. i too have seen bc22 for sale however i am saving my coins to allow gilbert the most freedom to upgrade the power supply as far as the enclosure allows and i can't splurge on a new amp right now. i should be able to grab one like that in the fall. i am also eyeing up a new denon mc cartridge to test out the new phono stage that will be in my 21.1 by august if all goes well.
paul

bjh
Advanced Member

Post by bjh » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:13 pm

I drive my Tannoys Arden with BC8MKII monoblocks, excellent match and results, your speakers like power, lots of it. macs are also excellent amplifers for tannoy. the 2125 is apparently a rare bird and actually some say they like it as much as the new stuff which is saying a lot

The BC8 are monsters, I imagine they can drive just about anything. I haven't heard them but I would think BC26 or BC28 would be excellent - but do you ever see them for sale, I don't :(

I had BC22, too small.

breadman

Post by breadman » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:39 am

hi bjh, thanks for that really helpful reply. there seems to be these opposing view of tannoys. one side is your view and other is low powered tube amps. good to know about the bc22, i had my suspicions about it. i guess i really new that i should be setting aside closer to 3k to get a good amp to last the next 30 years. this might have to wait until this time next year and get something that makes me really happy. i do like the idea of mono blocks. i think i also need to address the crossovers in the tannoys at some point. getting into blue circle and getting the tannoys has certainly sparked renewed interest for me in this hobby. it's all very fun again.
paul

bjh
Advanced Member

Post by bjh » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:59 am

If you do the caps yourself if won't cost too much, well as long as you don't go nuts with the caps :)

I did mine, very happy with the result.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5483/941 ... 27a5ba.jpg