Double D's Music Rig

This is a place where you can post pics of your systems.
Double D
Advanced Member

Post by Double D » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:33 pm

My system as it now stands is giving me about 95% of what I'm looking for in a music system, the other 5% is like trying to chase a Unicorn... FANTASY! So, I'm living with it, and being happy with what it does, and ignoring what it doesn't.
I'm running an AG3000 with a Levinson 37 & 360 digital front end, a Magnum Dynalab MD102t snatches music from the ether... and rather well I might add. ;)
Power amp is the stunning BC206, and speakers are a pair of Martin Logan Ascents (original .. not the tin foil woofer version).
Cabling is by Transparent, and Gutwire. Power conditioning is mostly BC (MR1200 on the source gear). I have a Gutwire MaxCon on the speakers and the amp. Power cables are all BC62's and Gutwire C-clefs.

Cheers ! <hr>Image

Double D
Advanced Member

Post by Double D » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:35 pm

here's the second pic, showing the amp and speakers..

Double D
Advanced Member

Post by Double D » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:37 pm

and part three... showing the source rack. Tuner in this pic is my older md100, now updated to an MD102t. <hr>Image

Double D
Advanced Member

Post by Double D » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:39 pm

And of course... an updated pic of my BC206, with AG-style face plate.. SWEEEEET !! B) <hr>Image

Nick
Advanced Member

Post by Nick » Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:24 pm

It looks really nice DoubleD, and I bet it sure sounds nice too.

Job well done.

Double D
Advanced Member

Post by Double D » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:03 am

Thanks Nick,
Yeah, it looks good, and sounds extra good! ;)
After all, good looks and no substance make for a very boring date! B)

PhilNYC
Dealer

Post by PhilNYC » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:03 pm

DD,

That faceplate on your BC206 looks really great!

It appears your room is also your living room. Any ability/thought of doing anything acoustic-treatment-wise?
NY/NJ Metro Blue Circle Dealer
Sonic Spirits Inc.
www.sonicspirits.com

Double D
Advanced Member

Post by Double D » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:27 pm

This is the pic that should appear in post #2 above.

Phil, yes, the main listening room is indeed my living room, and although I've pondered some room treatment, the system is remarkably balanced as it is. There are perhaps a few "nodes" or frequencies that occasionally get aggravated, but by and large I can live with it as is.
The Logan's are on the long wall, firing the short distance across the room, which is a bit unusual, but it works! :blink:
I had them firing the length of the room, but there was an unusual opening behind the left speaker (into the solarium) which sort of threw things out of whack. Granted, I think the depth of image was a bit better, but the overall tonal balance is better in the current position. B) <hr>Image

PhilNYC
Dealer

Post by PhilNYC » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:19 pm

DD,

I just got through a whole re-do of my acoustic treatments, so I've got "room-treament-on-the-brain". :blink:

One trick I've learned is to put acoustic foam behind my art-work...especially on the front wall, it helps create depth in your soundstage. Other than that, I'm now a big believer in treating the corners (intersection bettween the two walls and the ceiling) making the biggest difference and not worrying to much about dealing with nodes/standing waves...
Sonic Spirits Inc.
www.sonicspirits.com

Double D
Advanced Member

Post by Double D » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:49 pm

Good idea about foam behind the artwork Phil, I've given that some thought in the past, and since that big piece is just a canvas stretched over a frame, it'll be pretty easy to apply some sort of damping behind it.

I do have the cables elevated now, using some of Gilberts blue foam dampers, they work quite well as cheap cable lifters. I still may pop for some of those nice ceramic ones though. B)

admin
Advanced Member

Post by admin » Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:22 am

Stretched canvas eh. Kinda like hanging a stretched drumskin between the speakers. I wouldn't be surprised if things sounded a lot better with that thing muffled somehow.

aw

PhilNYC
Dealer

Post by PhilNYC » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:50 am

Canvas is actually sonically pourous, so it's not going to resonate like a drum skin. The paint on the canvas will close it up a little and make it reflective, but I wouldn't worry about...it is far less reflective than the wall behind it, and putting acoustic foam (or better yet, rigid fiberglass) behind it will go a long way at reducing the overall reflection off that wall. In my room, I had a "mixed media" painting which essentially was painted canvas with a coat of bee wax over it, and the rigid fiberglass I used behind it worked great.

DD...cable-lifters, huh? Does it make a difference? My cables run over hardwood floor, so I don't think I get any static charges affecting my cables...
Sonic Spirits Inc.
www.sonicspirits.com

Nick
Advanced Member

Post by Nick » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:08 am

Hello Phil,

I have hardwood floor, but I do notice a difference with cable lifters. My only guess is it has something to do with vibration in the floor effecting the cable, or traveling up the cable to the amp. Go grab a bunch of coffee mugs from the kitchen and test it out before you buy some.

For cable insulators I use antique glass power line insulators. They were only &#036;1.50 CND each at a local antique store.

Cheers,
Nick

PhilNYC
Dealer

Post by PhilNYC » Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:40 am

Nick...what kind of cables do you use? Are they shielded?
Sonic Spirits Inc.
www.sonicspirits.com

Double D
Advanced Member

Post by Double D » Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:02 pm

Yes Phil, surprisingly enough, I noticed a small but noticeable improvement with the foam pucks as cable lifters.
Particularly in the winter, when the air is rather dry here (even with a humidifier) it seems to help isolate the cables from static a bit.
I **REALLY ** like Nicks idea of using the glass isolators for cable lifters, I'll have to try a few of those, much cheaper than those ceramic cable lifter things! :D